Thursday, July 8, 2010

President's Message



Hello to all! The time has flown by, it seems like just a few short months ago I was nominated to become President of ASAHPERD. What a wonderful honor it is for me to serve in this capacity. I am excited about the upcoming year and know it will be a rewarding one for each one of us.

What an informative and fun spring conference we just had in Orange Beach. I had the opportunity to participate in the Student Leadership Conference providing ice breakers for our future professionals and getting to know many of them. Our profession is in great hands with these young professionals. I would like to thank all the future professionals and professionals that attended this event and helped to make it a success.

Upon becoming President-elect, I began thinking about a theme for my presidency. Our Vision Statement is: ASAHPERD envisions all citizens in Alabama to have the opportunity to enjoy a quality life through knowledge and active participation in healthy lifestyle choices. After reading our vision, I thought about all the individuals that provided me with the opportunity to enjoy a quality life. The list was endless: physical education teachers, classroom teachers, coaches, professors, administrators and the list goes on. These individuals that influenced my life taught me how to play several sports or activities that I still participate in as an adult. I thought what a great theme to have: “Playing it Forward”. What individuals have “Played it Forward” for you? Are you “Playing it Forward” for others such as your students, co-workers, or future professionals?

As members of ASAHPERD we have the opportunity to teach and share the importance of a healthy, active lifestyle through educating all citizens in Alabama. It is imperative that we support and promote our profession. I encourage you to be a role model and a mentor, supporting and communicating the value of our profession with individuals that cross your path, be it in the community or professionally.

I believe this year is going to be a pivotal one. Regardless of the career path you have chosen, the new initiatives happening all around our country such as First Lady Michelle Obama’s “Let’s Move Program” focusing on healthy, active lifestyles, there has not been a better time than now to begin “Playing it Forward”. Let’s focus on the future providing the knowledge and resources we have as an organization to assist others in making healthy, lifestyle choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment